Fulton Ferry Fireboat House

Brooklyn, NY

exterior 1.jpg
exterior 2.jpg

Historic renovation of a quaint, two story, shingled wood frame building at Fulton Landing that is both a National Registerand New York City Landmark.

Architect

Li/Saltzman, New York, NY

Client

New York Economic Development Corporation, New York, NY

Features

  • complete gutting and historic restoration of the interior preserving the building’s historic character
  • removal and replacement of the asbestos contami- nated existing siding and roof shingles
  • installation of all new mechanical and electrical systems
  • replacement and/or refurbishment of all interior finishes
  • restoration of original metal walls and ceilings
  • restoration of original copper clad windows
  • cleaning and restoration of existing marble wainscoting
  • upgrade of the adjacent hose tower and hose shed

Special Interests

The site was the scene of George Washington’s retreat in the Battle of Brooklyn and had been used as a ferry service point from the mid-17th century until 1924. Built in 1930, the Fireboat House served as home for Marine Fire Company No. 7 before becoming a museum and eventually closing due to its deteriorated condition.

Special Recognition

The project team’s success was recognized with the Preservation Achievement Award from the New York City’s Landmarks Preservation Commission and the Office of the Mayor of the City of New York for the reconstruction of the Fulton Ferry Pier and restoration of the Fireboat House in the Fulton Ferry Historic District.

Services

Construction Management