Eight floor, 280,000 SF renovation of the historically significant 12 story Gilbraltar Building in downtown Newark to provide space for the Essex County Court System and support agencies.
- restoration of lobby areas to original 1920’s style with custom stone and marble floor and walls
- 18 new courtrooms, new judges’ chambers, jury rooms, conference rooms, and administrative and staff offices
- pre-fabricated fiberglass “barrel vaulted” ceilings with wood and marble trim in courtrooms
- state-of-the-art security system allowing the Sheriff’s Department Command Center to control the building’s elevators and secured passages through video/electronic surveillance
- extensive lead paint abatement
- a new grand stairway connecting the entry floor to the renovated lounges and new café on the second floor
- holding cells for juvenile detainees on four floors